Thales at The Declination tells it like it is:
When a hot girl says something stupid, people pay attention to her anyway.
This has the effect of separating the hot chick from reality even more. She might think her stupid poems are beautiful art, because thirsty men will say anything to an attractive woman.
Hot Girl Privilege would be a lot more tolerable if it wasn’t so frequently associated with RBF.
Tip from Sara Hoyt at the Instapundit. (She gets a good quote in the article.)
I was preparing a data analysis assignment for one of my classes, and decided I needed an example for my students. Similar to what I’m asking of my students, I wanted to use public employee salary data from the the Texas Tribune Government Salaries Explorer. After a few moments’ thought* , I hit upon the topic of salaries for non-tenured faculty at the University of Texas at San Antonio, where I teach statistics.
I downloaded the UTSA data–an Excel CSV file–and selected out employees whose job titles contained the words “ADJUNCT”, “LECTURER”, or “TUTOR”, and copied those to a separate worksheet page. From there on, every bit of my example was done using R, all composed and arranged nicely with RStudio. The full analysis is here, but look at this interesting graph:
- How the heck do two part-timers in the College of Education and Human Development’s Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies make over $100K annually? That’s one sweet gig!
- Working in the Women’s Studies Institute is a vow of poverty. Should have gone to trade school.
- The Writing Core Program is almost as bad. Learn to write advertising copy and move to the College of Business Marketing Department.
- Part-time NTT economists seem to make more than full-timers. That doesn’t seem to make make economists credible.
*Thanks for the nudge from a new follower, Adjunct Professors—-Overworked & Underpaid!
I just learned about the Chinese craze for pandas from Albinotronix, a new blogfollower, whose blog, The Curious Guy, is even more wide-ranging than mine. I was particularly struck by his pithy summary of panda evolutionary foolishness:
Take a moment to think about this magnificent species
- For no reason they decided to turn herbivores
- For no reason they decided to stop reproducing
So this makes pandas the vegan hipsters of the Animal Kingdom. I shall henceforth refer to such persons as “Pandas.”